Saturday, May 16, 2009

LA to Hong Kong




We are off to Hong Kong and then on to Bali and Java. We almost cancelled because I wasn’t feeling well. However, I am fully recovered and the trip was on.
To get to Hong Kong we are flying to Tokyo and then changing plains and flying on to Hong Kong. You can see the charming smile of our hostess as she serves us Champagne.

When we finally arrive at our hotel in Hong Kong we will have been travelling for well over 24 hours. I am writing this on the flight from Tokyo to Hong Kong. They are taking Swine Flu very seriously. All of the stewardess wear masks. Many of the passengers are wearing masks. Everyone on board is afraid to cough or sneeze. Cathy and I watched the Canadian / Indian film Earth on the flight over. It is one of many films we brought with us. If you haven’t seen it, it is excellent about the terror of the Indian / Pakistan partition.

When we arrived in Tokyo things really got exciting. Once we pulled up to the gate the stewardess came through the cabin and told everyone who wasn’t wearing a mask to put one on. They then had us return to our seats. They then closed all of the windows on the plane so that you couldn’t see out. A team of health inspectors with heavy duty masks and full medical uniforms came through the cabin slowly. One of them had a very futuristic camera like device that he pointed at everyone. Apparently they were taking each of our temperatures. They did it by just pointing at us. They could do it from a distance of at least 15 feet. The reason they closed the window coverings was because the device is sensitive to outside temperatures.

We then were requested to fill out a medical history, have you been in the United States in the last 7 days? Do you know anyone with Swine Flu? Have you coughed? Did you have a sore throat? Have you taken any cold medicine? You then sign under threat of fine / imprisonment etc. I must have answered correctly because I was given a document saying I had passed inspection. We weren’t allowed off the plane until everyone was checked. It must have taken about ½ hour (luckily the plane wasn’t full). I hate to think what would have happened if someone on the plane was sick with anything. I think we all would have been quarantined. When we arrive in Hong Kong I assume we will go through the same process. When will I get to taste the Dim Sum? It will be midnight when we arrive at the hotel (hopefully) and I look forward to a good night sleep!

We arrived in Hong Kong. Surprisingly the flu check was much more lax. We just filled out a document. No temperature check required. No delay from leaving the plane.

We were met by a driver from the Intercontinental hotel. It is on Kowloon side, our room looks at Hong Kong across the water. I took the picture from our room. Hong Kong reminds me of New York or Chicago. Lots of high rises, it is very clean and surprisingly quiet. Looking forward to a full day with Scott and Courtney tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see I have been in the vanguard with mask wearing lo these many years! Hope my landing in Frankfurt and Singapore will not require infrared body scans, too. Enjoy HK with S & T and PLEASE eat extra dim sum as if I were there with you. Today's NYT has 2 articles of interest to us-- one on shopping in India-textiles and jewelry; the other on Kyoto. I've torn them out for future explorations. Stay well- see you on Wed. Ferris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Acid attack injures 30 in Hong Kong.

    http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/05/17/hong.kong.acid.attack/index.html

    ReplyDelete